If you’ve been following The Budget Maven for a while, you already know that I strongly advocate the incorporation of incentives into your budget. Incentives are important because they keep you motivated, but what do you do when your budget is so tight, there’s no room for treating yourself?
Change your definition of “treat”.
Whether you’re budgeting by choice or out of necessity, utilize your creativity and come up with ways to treat yourself that don’t involve money. Trust me, it can be done.
- Throw a themed movie night with some DVDs from the library and treat yourself to the company of great friends.
- Give yourself a manicure or pedicure.
- Light some candles, put on some music, and take a long bubble bath.
- Host an accessory swap with friends because nothing makes you feel better than a new (to you) purse.
- Try an at-home facial or mask treatment. While you’re waiting for it to dry, soak in, etc., pop in your favorite chick flick or re-read your favorite book.
- Have friends over for coffee instead of going to Starbucks.
- Visit your local bookstore and peruse all the magazines you wish you had a subscription to.
The most important thing to keep in focus when you’re budgeting is that money, no matter how much or how little you have, cannot dictate the quality of life you can experience.
What about you? What types of incentives have worked for you? What are some ways you like to motivate yourself to stick with your budget?